This is where you can keep up to date with groups, events and service times across the Benefice. Services times are as regular as possible but can be subject to change so it’s worth checking in to see what’s on and when. Notices for extra services around Christmas and Easter may also be posted here.
If you are unsure about whether something is on or not then contact one of the team or the contact given in the notice.
Notices for Sunday 23rd September 2018
The Seventeenth Sunday after Trinity
For any changes to the weekly services please see the website calendar.
1) Lesley Handscombe R.I.P: We sadly announce the death of Lesley Handscombe, we pray that she may Rest in Peace and Rise in Glory. We assure Peter, Victoria and John of our prayers at this time. Funeral details to be announced.
2) Thank You: I would like to thank you all for the prayers and support at my ‘welcoming at the cathedral’ on Saturday and for the wonderful gift I received from you all. Many thanks, Father John
3) Thank You: Thank you to everyone for all your support, your cards, your gifts and the lovely card and gift from everyone in the Benefice as I was ordained last Saturday. Revd Wendy
4) Lucian Filip: Many of you may remember Lucian Filip one of the Romanian students who was with us for three months. Lucian has recently been teaching at a seminary, but at the end of the summer term was asked to take a post in the Curia to develop post ordination training. Today, the 23rd, he will be ordained to the Deaconate and will be ordained a Priest on 2nd October. I have the privilege of being with him on the 2nd. Please hold Lucian in your prayers.
5) Fr Lee Taylor: Some of you may recall Fr Lee who was on placement with us in 2016. Fr Lee is Curate at Chingford Parish Church and will be priested on Saturday 29th, please hold him and his family in your prayers
6) Children’s Society Boxes (Corringham): If you have a collection box please return it to St. Mary’s or St. John’s for emptying.
7) Choir Practice: Tuesday 25th September, 7.30pm at St Michael’s.
8) MacMillan Coffee Morning: Thursday 27th September, 11am – 2pm at St Michael’s. Any donation of cakes would be greatly appreciated.
9) St Michael’s Patronal Festival: Sunday 30th September at 10am, followed by bacon sandwiches.
10) Harvest Festival: 7th October, 10am at St John’s followed by lunch Please let Margaret know (St Michael’s) or Bev (St Mary’s) if you are attending. Produce and household items will be going to St Saviour’s Priory, Hackney (see below). Donations from the lunch to support Friends of the Poor South India Sewing Project.
11) St Saviour’s Homeless Project, Hackney: The most needed items are, corned beef, tinned meat or fish; tinned fruit, tinned rice pudding or custard. Toiletries of all sorts, pocket packs of tissues. Socks, underpants, jeans, hats, gloves. Empty ice cream containers.
12) Jigsaw Day: Saturday 13th October, 10am – 4pm in Gardner Hall. Drop in or stay all day. Tea/coffee, cakes, biscuits and bacon rolls will be available. We would also appreciate donations of good quality jigsaws in advance of the event. The puzzles can be left at St Michael’s or given to Christine.
13) Walsingham-at-Leigh Day: Saturday 20th October at St Clements, Leigh. For more details see poster at the back of church. If you are going and would like fish and chips, please let them know the week before.
14) “Hi-ho, Hi-ho – it’s off to the panto we go”: Well not quite yet but you do need to reserve your seats now to avoid disappointment. This year’s visit to see “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” at the Towngate Theatre, Basildon is Friday 7th December so please contact me without delay with your requirements. Tickets cost £20 each (a saving of £5 on normal price) but you can reserve now and pay later. Final date for placing your order is 23rd September. Barrie White (St Mary’s).